Saturday, November 20, 2010

Balot/Balut

Yes, we ate it. If you do not know what it is, just wikipedia "balut (egg)".


Our Filipino friends say it is a night-time food. I think that's so you don't have to see it when you eat it. We had the 13 day old eggs. These are the younger eggs. The chick isn't as developed. Some of the pictures of balut on google show the more mature eggs that you can get. Ours did not have feathers and beaks so it was not too bad.

As for the taste, it was really a lot like a hard boiled egg. This makes sense, because they boil the egg. We ate them with salt and vinegar. Katie thought the inside tasted like chicken soup.

After my first try, I remain unsure. I will have to give it another go to make a decision one way or another.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Youth in Mission slogan coming to mind: "That's different...but it's okay."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You guys have a lot more courage than I would.

    ReplyDelete